Friday, January 23, 2009

George Whitefield's quotes

Works? Works? A man get to heaven by works? I would as soon think of climbing to the moon on a rope of sand!

It is an undoubted truth that every doctrine that comes from God, leads to God; and that which doth not tend to promote holiness is not of God.

Gladly shall I come whenever bodily strength will allow to join my testimony with yours in Olney pulpit, that God is love. As yet I have not recovered from the fatigues of my American expedition. My shattered bark is scarce worth docking any more. But I would fain wear, not rust, out. Oh! my dear Mr. Newton, indeed and indeed I am ashamed that I have done and suffered so little for Him that hath done and suffered so much for ill and hell-deserving me.

Let a man go to the grammar school of faith and repentance before he goes to the university of election and predestination.

I embrace the Calvinistic scheme, not because of Calvin, but Jesus Christ has taught it to me.

We are immortal until our work on earth is done.

Good works have their proper place. They justify our faith, though not our persons; they follow it, and evidence our justification in the sight of men.

No comments:

Post a Comment