Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Samuel Rutherford's quotes

Oh, if He would fold the heavens together like an old cloak, and shovel time and days out of the way, and make ready in haste the Lamb's wife for her Husband! Since He looked upon me, my heart is not mine own; He hath run away to heaven with it.

To want temptations is the greatest temptation of all.

As the Lord lives, I durst promise it in His name, if we would seek Him we should see the salvation of the Lord.

Since He looked upon me my heart is not my own, He hath run away to heaven with it.

Do not seek for warm fire under cold ice.

I have been benefited by praying for others; for by making an errand to God for them I have gotten something for myself.

Honor God, and shame the roaring lion.

When I am in the cellar of affliction, I look for the Lord's choicest wines.

They lose nothing who gain Christ.

A repenting man is more angry at his own heart that consenteth to sin than he is at the devil who did tempt him to sin.

I see Christ's love is so kingly, that it will not abide a marrow: it must have a throne all alone in the soul.

The weightiest end of the cross of Christ that is laid upon you, lieth upon your strong Savior.

I am come to love a rumbling and raging devil best. Seeing we must have a devil to hold the saints waking, I wish a cumbersome devil, rather than a secure and sleeping one."

Faith is exceedingly charitable, and believeth no evil of God.

It is hard to keep sight of God in a storm.

It is ordinary for man to beg from God, for we be but His beggars; but it is a miracle to see God beg at man. Yet here is the Potter begging from the clay; the Savior seeking from sinners!

It is good for us that ever Christ took the cumber of us; it is our heaven to lay many weights and burdens upon Christ, and to make Him all we have, root and top, beginning and ending of our salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment