Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Modern Mount Rushmore

How we feel and what we think are now considered more important than what God wants and what His Word says. At the nucleus of today’s philosophy of life is me-ism none can deny. The “I” had taken place of “Thou”. Because we adults have sown the wind, our young children are sure to reap the whirlwind.

This was brought home rather forcefully in a one page article entitled “The Modern Mount Rushmore”. The author, Ralph Schoenstein, humorously yet pointedly presents proof of this from a classroom he visited:

My daughter Lori, who is eight, told me last night that she wants to grow up to sing like Judy Garlander or Michael Jackson. “Try for Judy Garlander,” I said. “A girl needs a great soprano to be Michael Jackson.”

These two singers have become Loris first hero and heroines. They are hardly figures for commemorative stamps, but many children have no heroes or heroines anymore, no noble achievers they yearn to emulate…

One day last spring I stood before 20 children of 8 and 9 in Lori’s third-grade class to see if any heroes or heroines were inspiring them. I asked each child to give me the names of the three greatest people he had ever heard about.

“Michael Jackson, Brooke Shields and Boy George,” said a small blond girl, giving one from all three sexes.

“Michael Jackson, Spider-Man and God,” a boy then said, naming a new holy Trinity.

…When the other children recited, Michael Jackson’s name was spoken again and again, but Andrew Jackson never, nor Washington, Lincoln or any other presidential immortal. Just Ronald Reagan, who made it twice, once behind Batman and once behind Mr T, a hero who like to move people by saying, “ Sucker, I’ll break your face.”…And I heard no modern equivalent of Charles A. Lindbergh, America’s beloved “Lone Eagle”

In answer to my request for heroes, I had expected to hear such names as Michael Jackson, Mr T, Brookes Shields and Spiderman from the kids, but I had not expected the replies of the eight who answered. “Me”. Their heroes were themselves.

It is sad enough to see the faces on Mount Rushmore replaced by rock stars, brawlers and cartoons, but it is sadder to see Mount Rushmore replaced by a mirror.

Growing Deep in the Christian Life: Essential Truths for Becoming Strong in by Charles R. Swindoll

No comments:

Post a Comment